How to measure wellbeing
Wellbeing is unique to each individual, team and organisation. The following paper outlines ‘The Challenges of defining Wellbeing’ and demonstrates the difficulties in measuring it effectively. With this in mind it is therefore wise to take a more rounded view rather than rely on one particular measure. Within the workplace this might include conducting a survey and combining this with other information from key performance indicators, talking with staff, personal observations and experience.
However it is clear that there are common characteristics or dimensions used in wellbeing measurement surveys. Here are some of the most common we’ve come across:
- Our own CANBE model can be used to measure improvements to individual, manager and leader wellbeing over time. Download your free copy of our YouCANBE wellbeing survey and get a picture of your personal wellbeing in less than 10 minutes!
- Happiness Pulse
- How the ONS measure personal wellbeing
- NEF Consulting – Happiness at Work survey
- Our own CANBE model can be used to measure improvements to team wellbeing over time. Download your free copy of our TeamCANBE wellbeing survey and get a picture of your team’s wellbeing in less than 10 minutes!
For the Workplace
- Our own CANBE model can be used to measure improvements to workplace wellbeing over time. Get in touch to discuss your requirements
- Happiness Works – Happiness at Work Survey
- Business in The Community (BITC) – The Workwell model provides a useful approach and there are some great ideas and case studies in sections 4 & 5 in the linked document
For Towns, Cities & Communities
- Gallup-Healthways 2016 Community Well-Being Rankings (USA)
- Happy City –
- Santa Monica Wellbeing Project
- Vermont is using the Gross National Happiness Index
- Bhutan – Gross National Happiness Index
- Canada – Canadian Index of Wellbeing
- Equador – PLAN NACIONAL PARA EL BUEN VIVIR 2017 2021 (National Plan for Good Living)
- France – Social Portrait of France
- Sweden – New measure of wellbeing
- UK – Measuring What Matters
Global Wellbeing Measures
- United Nations Development Programme – Human Development Index
- Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index
- OECD – Better Life Index
- Legatum – Prosperity Index
- New Economics Foundation – Happy Planet Index
Need help with measuring wellbeing?
Improveon provides consulting, coaching and training services to help design, develop, deliver and measure the most effective wellbeing solutions to meet the needs of individuals, managers, leaders, teams, brands and organisations.
If you’d like a conversation about how Improveon can help you, your team or organisation get in touch using the contact/schedule now button and book a free consultation. Alternatively:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 07753 430 557 or 01202 830 601
- Leave a message on our contact page and we’ll be back in touch
Let’s link up
If you think this page contains some useful information and tools to help you measure wellbeing why not share it with others. After all sharing makes us feel good and helps build our wellbeing!